vitamins for weight gain for breastfeeding
The fat cells in the woman’s body are used, in addition to the calories she eats in her diet, to be used in the process of milk production to feed the infant, and this either helps the woman to return to her normal weight or may make her lose a large part of her weight, in both cases the woman has to put It sets these two goals :
- Maintaining the weight that makes her able to practice her life normally.
- Provide the amount of milk that helps her child to grow.
So it is recommended to take Vitamins for weight gain for breastfeeding women to help achieve them, and these vitamins include the following:
1. Vitamin B group
It was indicated in a study that there is evidence in many experiments that getting a group of B vitamins in doses that are below the toxicity limit works strongly to increase the percentage of fat in the body, so pregnant women are advised to take them within the recommended nutritional dose mentioned in the following table:
|Vitamin||Recommended Dietary Dosage|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)||1.4 milligrams|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||1.6 milligrams|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||17 milligrams|
|Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid)||7 milligrams|
|Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine)||2.0 milligrams|
|Vitamin B7 (Biotin)||35 micrograms|
|Vitamin B9 (folic acid)||600 micrograms|
|Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin)||2.8 micrograms|
2. Vitamin C
A study has shown that the intake of vitamin C by breastfeeding women, whether as a dietary supplement or including it in the diet from its natural sources, in quantities ranging from 120-1000 milligrams It contributes to increasing milk production in nursing women and contributes to a healthy weight gain.
3. Vitamin D
Vitamin D is the sunshine vitamin that our bodies produce upon direct exposure to sunlight. It is also one of the vitamins found in many food sources, such as: egg whites, calf liver, many types of cheese and some types of fish such as salmon and tuna.
However, it is difficult to maintain the recommended amounts of this vitamin due to the preoccupation with not diversifying their diets and not being sufficiently exposed to sunlight, and this vitamin plays an important role in maintaining a healthy weight, as it is recommended for breastfeeding women to take it to maintain a healthy weight and maintain their system immune system.
Minerals and elements for weight gain for nursing mothers
After we talked about the most important vitamins for weight gain for a breastfeeding woman, here are some elements and minerals that may have the same role in the following:
Taking iodine helps the thyroid hormones to function normally and thus the metabolism and distribution of fat in the body normally. Therefore, breastfeeding women are advised to eat the recommended amounts to maintain a healthy weight that helps them breastfeed their child and carry out their daily tasks.
Iron is an important element for a breastfeeding woman, as the daily ration for a breastfeeding woman of 18 years or younger reaches 10 milligrams Daily, while breastfeeding women over 19 years old, the daily allowance is up to 9 milligrams per day.
Iron can be obtained from many foods available at home, such as:
- Red meat and poultry.
- Dry Fruits.
Magnesium contributes primarily and importantly to the special chemical reactions in the human body to produce energy for daily activities. Therefore, it is recommended for breastfeeding women to eat foods containing it to maintain a normal weight and an energy level commensurate with the effort they make. Foods containing magnesium include the following:
- Salmon and halibut.
Calories Needed for a Breastfeeding Woman
A nursing woman needs about 330-400 extra calories to help her carry out her daily activities in addition to producing milk, and this is obtained by following a balanced diet that includes:
- Eat five daily servings of vegetables and fruits.
- Eat starches such as bread and pasta.
- Make sure to eat the fiber found in whole grains and legumes.
- Eat protein servings found in meat, chicken, fish, eggs, nuts, etc.
- Eat dairy products.
- Make sure to drink plenty of fluids.
Snacks to increase milk supply and increase the weight of the nursing mother
Snacks that work to generate milk and increase the weight of the nursing mother include the following:
- Oat flakes for milk production: It is one of the great-tasting snacks that contain ingredients that stimulate and increase milk production, such as: eggs, oats, and yeast.
- Oatmeal and Banana Smoothie for Milk Production: This healthy juice is rich in fiber and its components contribute significantly to maintaining the energy level of a pregnant woman. In addition to oats and bananas, this juice contains peanut butter and yeast.
- Milk tea: This type of tea contains fennel seeds (Fennel) andFenugreek only, as this tea greatly enhances milk production and reduces bloating in breastfeeding women.
- Lentil soup with kale (Kale): This delicious soup, which contains a mixture of protein and green leaves, is a perfect choice for breastfeeding women.